Cleaning & Fertilizing
- All fertilizers and herbicides are biodegradable and organic.
- Our cleaning chemicals are designed to be safe for humans and the environment with most chemicals recognized by DfE (Design for the Environment Program)
- Disposable food service items are made from sugarcane, a renewable crop. They are compostable and recyclable. The lids are made of pulp and PLA
- Disposable paper hot cups contain approximately 90% compostable cellulose fiber by weight which can be processed in commercial composting facilities and they can also be recycled. They meet the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) Certified Sourcing and Chain-of-Custody standards, promoting responsible forestry practices
- Stirrers at Essensia lounge and restaurant are made of bamboo.
- Straws are biodegradable and are only added to drinks if guests request them.
- All disposable ware used at events by the hotel are made of biodegradable or environmentally friendly materials (either made of bagasse, corn or PLA or by Verterra)
- More than 65% of our total furniture has been made either from recycled content, rapidly renewable materials, urea-formaldehyde free, or locally produced
- Spa and in-room toiletries are Aveda whose products are to 90% made of organic ingredients, sustainably sourced and packaged in 100% postconsumer recycled containers.
- Aveda products used in the spa are in refillable dispensers.
- Spa nail-care is Spa Ritual eco-friendly and products and packaging use vegan ingredients including plant essences that are wildcrafted or organic. The formulations are naturally colored and free of synthetic dyes.
Paper & Pens
- Toilet /Tissue Paper is made by Solaris Paper with fibers from renewable sources sourced from 100% legal and responsibly managed sustainable sources awarding them the PEFC Chain-of-Custody Certification.
- Much of the stationery and brochures are printed on 100% post-consumer recycled paper with soy ink
- Our pens are made with recycled heavy stock paper and plastic trim
Sustainable, local and organic
- On-site Essensia’s Organic Chefs Garden consists of 6 individual beds totaling 750 square feet of organic growing space providing herbs and seasonal produce used in many of the restaurant’s recipes
- All seafood at Essensia restaurant comes from a sustainable source and is line caught.
- Many fruits and vegetables at Essensia restaurant are locally grown and organic
- All meats and poultry at Essensia are grass-fed and natural – organic where possible
- The wine list at Essensia restaurant is 100% sustainable, organic or biodynamic
- Many cocktails at Essensia Lounge are made with natural fruit juices and organic or eco-conscious spirits.
- We are members of the Slow Food Miami, a non-profit, 100% volunteer organization that supports our local community from the ground up – from the Edible School & Community Gardens planted to encourage the enjoyment of foods that are local, seasonal and sustainably grown; to the local growers and artisan food makers that are supported for their use of sustainable methods. All proceeds from events and donor contributions support local school and community gardens.
Textiles & Care
- Our Linen company – Hotelier Linen Services is committed to the environment– they are one of the only laundries in South Florida to recycle 100% of its waste water and use ECOLAB green friendly detergent.
- The dry-cleaner; A Cleaner World is rated with 4 out of 5 leaves by the Green Cleaner Council
- The Dry-cleaning clothes protectors are made of biodegradable material.
- Front desk uniforms are made from a combination of recycled and organic fibers
- New team member orientation trains on being environmentally friendly and green which is one of our Core Values. One month of the year is dedicated to being Environmentally Friendly.
- Green and environmental behavior will be part of each team member’s job description
- Team members will be taken on tours of Waste Management recycling plant and landfill compostable plant
- Ultra Pure bottled water in meeting rooms comes in a bottle made of 100% recycled plastic.
- Other bottled water used is Evian, which bottles, sells and distributes its water with the environment in mind. Bottled water served in the restaurant comes in glass bottles. The only plastic water bottles sold on-site are Evian bottles in the rooms – glass bottles cannot be taken to the pool.
To see a list of all of our awards and affiliations, click here.